I’ve been making this homemade mac n cheese since my boys were toddlers! Back when I made everything from scratch! Now it’s just a treat for dinner on occasion! This recipe easy enough that I cooked this when I could barely make ramen! Read below to see just how easy!
Servings – 6
Prep time – 5 minutes
Cook time – 10 minutes
- Elbow Macaroni – 2 cups
- Shredded Cheese (your choice! I’ve used all different types and it works great either way! Shown in picture is a Fiesta Blend) – 2 cups
- Whole Milk – 2 cups
- Butter – 1/4 cup
- Flour – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Worcestershire sauce -1/4 tsp
- Mustard – 1/4 tsp
- In a large-sized pot, bring about 4-5 cups of water to a boil.
- Boil 2 cups of macaroni until tender.
- While macaroni is cooking, start on the sauce.
- In a medium-sized pan, melt 1/4 cup of butter.
- Add in 1/4 tsp of Worcestershire sauce and 1/4 tsp of mustard and stir well.
- Add 1/4 cup of flour and mix together until you get a creamy consistency.
- Pour in 2 cups of milk and bring to a boil. Stir constantly! You don’t want the mixture to burn.
- Once boiling, remove from heat. It should be thick and creamy.
- Add in your 2 cups of shredded cheese and mix until cheese is melted. You’ll have a delicious creamy cheese sauce!
- Drain your macaroni, place back in large pot and pour in the cheese sauce! Stir well until macaroni is completely covered.
This is great as a main dish or side dish!
Alternative – We have also placed in a glass baking dish and added cheese crackers with more cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees in oven until cheese is melted and crackers start to brown. It just adds a little crunch to the dish and of course you can never have too much cheese!
We love this meal year round! My boys get so excited when I cook it! Now that they’re older I do think I’ll have to start making a double batch since they’re growing like weeds! So if you’re cooking for older kids you might want to double as well!
Hope you enjoy! Until my next post have a fantastic perfectly imperfect day!
Rebekah Wilson ~ Boymom Belle