I’m still on my soup kick! I can’t help it! This time of year I love having warm soup on a cold evening and sharing it with my family. I hate cooking, but especially when nobody will eat what I’ve made! So, it makes it worthwhile when they eat it all and get seconds! I now feel my mom’s pain. She hated cooking too (still does) and would get so frustrated when we didn’t eat. I get my simple cooking and loathe for the kitchen from her! But I also learned a lot of short cuts from her too! So let’s get to it! This is super easy and no meat required! You can add bacon to this recipe though and it’s delicious. We topped the soup with bacon bits this time and I’m wishing I had more bacon to go with it! There’s always next time!
Cheddar Broccoli Potato Soup
Total Time: 35-40 minutes (I take forever to cut veggies!)
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Servings: 6 Servings (we even had seconds)
Simple and Easy Recipe!
- 6 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 Cup sliced celery (about 2 ribs)
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 Cups chopped broccoli
- 1/3 Cup flour
- 2 Heaping Cups of shredded cheese
- 3 Cups chicken broth (I used bouillon)
- 1/2 Cup salted butter
- 2 Cups milk
- Salt and Pepper
- Favorite toppings bacon bits, sour cream, chives, etc
- Prep all your veggies, cheese, milk, flour, butter and broth. That way you’re not trying to slice, dice, chop and shred when you need to be stirring your soup.
- Saute celery and onion with the butter in a large pot.
- Add flour with salt and pepper and mix until smooth.
- Pour in milk, broth and add cubed potatoes.
- Stir constantly and bring to a boil. The milk will start to thicken but make sure not to burn it.
- Once boiling reduced heat, add broccoli and cover. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes. This ensures broccoli gets tender but not over done. Stir occasionally.
- Once potatoes are tender, add in cheese and stir. Make sure cheese is completely melted into the soup. And that’s it!
And Voila! You have a hearty and tasty soup to warm you up after a long, cold day! It’s so simple it’s ridiculous! I used to be so intimidated by homemade soups but now I NEVER get store-bought! I made homemade french bread to serve on the side and added bacon bits on top. I’ll post that yummy recipe later too! We had absolutely no left overs which of course I was bummed about since I wanted some for the next day! Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for stopping by and until my next post, have a fantastic perfectly imperfect day!